Ad banner placement (728x90)
News Author: Kurdpress 2022-07-29 04:31 Reading time: 2 minute Views: 0 (0)
Text size:
Telegram WhatsApp

Mohammed Al-Sudani says he won't withdraw his nomination for Iraq's premiership

Story summary
The Coordination Framework’s candidate for the position of prime minister of Iraq, Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, said he will not withdraw his nomination and stated it was his responsibility to save the nation.

Supporters of Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr entered Baghdad’s highly fortified Green Zone and into the parliament building on Wednesday in protest against the nomination of Sudani.
Faris al-Faris, one of the leaders of the Azim Alliance, confirmed his party’s support for Sudani amid the demands for his withdrawal.
"We support him because he succeeded in his previous duties,” Faris said. "We think his experience in running the government will be positive.”
The Sunni Muslim Azim Alliance discussed with the Coordination Framework ways to get past the political deadlock in the Iraqi parliament earlier this year.
The Coordination Framework nominated Sudani as their candidate for prime minister on Monday following the withdrawal of the Sadrist Movement from parliament last month.
Residents of Baghdad and Sadr’s supporters said Sudani had several positions in government in the past and had not served the citizens of Iraq. Sudani had previously served as the governor of Maysan governorate and as the head of a number of ministries under former Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.
A security source told local media that Green Zone’s security is now stable following the protests on Wednesday. The source said all gates to the area were open to the public.
Reporter's code: 50101

Related stories

User comments

0 Comment
Rating:
(0)
Submitted comments will be published after moderator approval.
Smart news assistant
Quickly review the latest important stories