Ad banner placement (728x90)
News Author: Kurdpress 2022-08-07 11:30 Reading time: 2 minute Views: 0 (0)
Text size:
Telegram WhatsApp

U.S. warns to halt its support for Peshmerga forces

Story summary
The United States will halt its support if the reforms within the Peshmerga forces do not further progress said the Peshmerga minister on Saturday, August 6.

After his arrival in the United States of America the Kurdistan Region Peshmerga minister Shoresh Ismael along with a ministerial delegation met senior U.S. officials from the U.S. Department of State to discuss the unification of Peshmerga forces, according to a press conference.

“Our visit to the U.S. was crucial and necessary, we dispatched the message of the Kurdistan Region to senior officials in Washington which see itself in protecting security and stability,” Ismael told the press conference.

“The Americans have explicitly told us that they will halt the support to the Peshmerga forces if the reforms do not progress furthermore,” He said.

In February 2018, the Ministry of Peshmerga announced a 35-point plan to make the Peshmerga a more efficient, modern, and non-partisan fighting force, which was developed in consultation with advisors from the U.S., UK, and Germany.

The Peshmerga ministry’s reforms include the unification of its units that are not under the command of the official military institution as well as training for the forces.

“We have made great steps so far toward the unification of the forces as well as reforms, U.S. officials were pleased and expressed support for further steps” Ismael added.

Reporter's code: 50101

Related stories

User comments

0 Comment
Rating:
(0)
Submitted comments will be published after moderator approval.
Smart news assistant
Quickly review the latest important stories