Ad banner placement (728x90)
News Author: Kurdpress 2022-04-25 16:44 Reading time: 1 minute Views: 0 (0)
Text size:
Telegram WhatsApp

Iraq 1984 agreement with Turkey on cross border incursions was only for a year: FM

Story summary
Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein said according to an agreement between Iraq and Turkey that was signed in 1984 by Tariq Aziz, the former foreign minister of Iraq, Turkey is allowed to pass 5 km across the Iraqi border under the condition Ankara informs Baghdad 72 hours before entering the country’s territory.

The agreement was for only one year and no further agreements were signed, Hussein said.

The Presidency of the Iraqi parliament summoned Hussein to discuss Turkey’s recent cross-border offensive against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).

Hussein met on Sunday, April 24, with the first Deputy Speaker in the Iraqi parliament, Hakim al-Zamili.

Hussein said according to an agreement between Iraq and Turkey that was signed in 1984 by Tariq Aziz, the former foreign minister of Iraq, Turkey is allowed to pass 5 km across the Iraqi border under the condition Ankara informs Baghdad 72 hours before entering the country’s territory.

Turkey began its fresh cross-border offensive known as Operation Claw Lock against the PKK early on Monday.

The Foreign Ministry’s Spokesperson Ahmed al-Sahhaf, said on Thursday the ministry regards Turkey’s attack as "a violation of Iraq’s sovereignty, and a threat to its territory’s unity and the country’s security.”

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan claimed on Wednesday the operation was conducted in cooperation with the Iraqi government.

The foreign ministry condemned Turkey’s offensive earlier in the week and summoned the Turkish ambassador over the attack.

Reporter's code: 50101

Related stories

User comments

0 Comment
Rating:
(0)
Submitted comments will be published after moderator approval.
Smart news assistant
Quickly review the latest important stories