Ad banner placement (728x90)
News Author: Kurdpress 2020-03-01 20:45 Reading time: 1 minute Views: 0 (0)
Text size:
Telegram WhatsApp

Turkey announces "Operation Spring Shield" in Syria

Story summary

Turkey launched a fresh Syria operation in Idlib, said the country’s defense chief on Sunday.

“Operation Spring Shield, which was launched following the heinous attack [on Turkish troops] on Feb. 27 is successfully being carried out,” Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said as he is commanding the operation from Turkey’s southern Hatay province, bordering Syria.

On the details of the operation, Akar said a drone, eight helicopters, 103 tanks, 19 armored personnel carriers, 72 cannons/howitzers/multiple rocket launchers, three air-defense systems, 15 anti-tanks/mortars, 56 armored vehicles, nine ammunition depots and 1,212 regime soldiers and elements have been neutralized so far.

He stressed that Turkey’s only target during the operation would be “regime soldiers and elements in Idlib under the right to self-defense.”

According to Anadolu news agency he added that Turkey does not aim a face-off with Russia and its only aim is to stop “the regime massacres and to prevent radicalization and migration.”

Akar stressed that Ankara wants a lasting cease-fire and stability in Syria, however, he vowed to intensely retaliate any attack on Turkish troops and observation posts in Idlib.

Reporter’s code: 50101

Related stories

User comments

0 Comment
Rating:
(0)
Submitted comments will be published after moderator approval.
Smart news assistant
Quickly review the latest important stories