Ad banner placement (728x90)
News Author: Kurdpress 2022-11-03 07:20 Reading time: 1 minute Views: 0 (0)
Text size:
Telegram WhatsApp

Formation of joint Peshmerga- Iraqi brigade halted

Story summary
Peshmerga Major-General Sirwan Barzani announced on Wednesday, November 2, that the process of putting together a joint force from the Iraqi army and Peshmerga forces has come to a stop.

Barzani, the Commander of Sector 6, said the process has stopped due to the issue of providing salaries for the 20th Peshmerga brigade and because of the appointment of a new minister of finance.

According to NRT he also stated Islamic State (ISIS) militant activity has increased in areas with a security gap between Kurdish and Iraqi forces.

Barzani said Peshmerga need approval from Joint Operations Command to conduct military operations in these areas and this delays operations, leading to difficulties in properly conducting the fight against ISIS.

Several joint brigades were decided to be formed as part of an agreement between Peshmerga and the Iraqi army to be deployed in disputed areas where a security vacuum exists that has left the areas vulnerable to attacks from ISIS on both civilians and security forces.

The 20th brigade (3,700 members) was formed last year to be deployed to the disputed territories between Erbil and Baghdad, while they have completed their training, they have not been deployed yet.

Reporter's code: 50101

Related stories

User comments

0 Comment
Rating:
(0)
Submitted comments will be published after moderator approval.
Smart news assistant
Quickly review the latest important stories